Depending on where you are in your business, you may have one client or you may have 100+. Either way, the success and growth of your business relies on the continued patronage of the people who use your services.
People are the reason you are in business, so your business has to be about people.
One of the best ways to check yourself and your business is to stop and consider these questions:
- Would I want to be my own client?
- What would I like or dislike about the attention I received?
- Would I get full value out of both the service itself and the relationship?
Because, let’s be honest, we’ve all had those business connections where we think, man, I love the product or service, I just really hate having to deal with the person providing it.
In order to test this, make sure all of these statements ring true to you and the service you provide…
10. I refer to each client by their first name, acknowledging that they are, in fact, an actual human, not just a potential sale or a number on a spreadsheet.
9. My communications contain proper spelling and grammar. (Okay, maybe this isn’t super important to everyone, but it matters to me!)
8. I never avoid my clients because I know they would soon figure it out and stop using my services.
7. I make sure to always re-read texts and emails before sending to make sure the tone is correct and can’t be misinterpreted by the client on the other end.
"I have great respect for my clients' time, privacy, and boundaries."
6. Emails, phone calls, and texts are always answered promptly. (Typically within 24 hours, except on weekends.)
5. I have great respect for my clients’ time, privacy, and boundaries. When I reach out to them, it’s for a specific reason, stated succinctly, at an appropriate time and place.
4. I always make each client feel like a VIP – maybe the most important one ever.
3. My clients feel comfortable asking me questions because I answer them politely (and enthusiastically) to encourage further communication.
2. I offer something that no one else can – my own expertise mixed with my life experiences and a heaping spoonful of my personality. Nobody can match that.
1. When I promise something, I deliver it. Whether it’s quality, quantity, or deadline – or usually all three – I go above and beyond to exceed my client’s expectations.
Well, did you pass the test? As a business owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that your clients are receiving top-notch service from you and your employees. Be the company that people rave about because your standards are second-to-none.
You know what you expect when you are on the client side of a business relationship, so be the person that you would love to do business with and don’t settle for anything less.
I am a working mom with a degree in Business Administration. My career passions include hunting down pesky commas and exploring the dark underbelly of Microsoft Word. I live to edit and edit to live!
Latest posts by Marie McDowell (see all)
- Top 10 Reasons Why You’d Love to Be Your Own Client - April 20, 2017
- The Dos and Don’ts of Apologizing to a Client - April 11, 2017
- The Rule of 7: Planting Seeds That Will Grow Into Sales - March 28, 2017